What Is Bird-Dogging?
A Bird Dog is an old hunting term for a dog that will flush birds from bushes, groves, or hedges so that the hunter can shoot and the dog will retrieve. In business, a bird dog is referred to as a person who is able to locate special items or people.
In real estate, a bird dog is someone who is able to find distressed properties and bring the lead to an experienced real estate investor – and get paid for doing so.
The reason why many investors started out as bird dogs is:
- You don’t risk any of your money
- You don’t risk any of your credit
- You have the opportunity to earn fast cash in little time
- You can get your feet wet in the industry to see if this is for you
- You build some of the most important skills needed for real estate success – the ability to locate great deals, evaluate properties, and connect with other investors
There are 2 levels of Bird Dogging:
1.Property Locator – simply scouts for properties and relays the information (address and seller’s name) to the investor;
2.Property Locator + Analyzer – same as above, but with the added factor that the bird dog also analyzes the deal for the investor;
The more work you do and information you gather, the more money you can earn as a bird dog.